PIVX - Update on Recent Zerocoin Protocol Exploit & Patch Information
A new exploit was found in the original libzerocoin source code which led to a vulnerability in zPIV minting. Please see official announcement on the exploit situation here: https://pivx.org/from-the-dev-...
To address this issue, we need every desktop wallet user’s help to reorg to the good chain without the exploit.
- If you are able to do this now, it would really help the network & block any new exploit attempts.
- If you prefer to wait for our final wallet release, then it is recommended to close your wallet for now.
- Your coins are 100% safe. But zPIV mint/spend will be temporarily disabled to stop any new exploits.
- We hope to have a final wallet out in the coming days once we get the network / wallet secure.
- Then we will notify all exchanges to bring back their wallets online for deposits & withdrawals.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Stop / Close your current wallet.
Download and update to this new exploit patched
pre-release3.0.99 (vtemp_dev) wallet. https://github.com/PIVX-Projec...
pivx.conffile and append following lines to the bottom of it. See this for pivx.conf location: https://pivx.freshdesk.com/sup...
enablezeromint=0 addnode=18.104.22.168 addnode=22.214.171.124 addnode=126.96.36.199 addnode=188.8.131.52 addnode=184.108.40.206 banscore=10000 bantime=5
peers.datfile. (in same location as pivx.conf)
Launch your wallet. Wait for it to sync up.
Now check if you are on the right chain. Instruction: https://pivx.freshdesk.com/sol...
If you are not on the same block:hash as the presstab block explorer, then perform a reindex. Qt Wallet = Tools -> Wallet Repair -> Rebuild Index (this can take many minutes to complete) Linux = Close wallet. Start the wallet with
If it looks good, then unlock for staking if you normally stake your coins.
It is safe to stake with this pre-release wallet. It just has a generic warning.
NOTE: These steps may change over time depending on the situation of the network / wallet release but will be kept updated at all times.