RISE DEV Q & A - September 2016

• VroomDotClub @ RISE forum asks:

• How easy would it be for a company to create their own tokens based on the Rise platform i.e. co-branded tokens carrying same value and identity as Rise accounts?

Justin: This is a very interesting idea. A Decentralized application would work for this, but in order to it to be 1 to 1 with Rise, every time a token is issued, the equivalent RISE would have to be taken out of standard circulation. This is pretty easy with the sidechain wallets, the DAPP would just have to ensure that this happens. This way, someone could exchange the co-branded coin for its equivalent in RISE easily.

This is a great way to get into the business world I think, as a kind of “Brand Loyalty” application.

VroomDotClub @ RISE forum asks:

• How close are we to listing a few simple examples in JavaScript?
      From hello world to basic elements showing potential functionality would be wonderful.

Justin: This is something we will be adding to the documentation for all of the SDKs over time. They need to be a bit more complicated than Hello World, as that example wouldn’t be any different than the language the SDK is using. We plan on giving an example for each API call. Once the SDKs are complete, we will start on this.

Justin: This type of attack, as I understand it, still requires a mining infrastructure. That’s how they use hashing power to create a fork. This is an issue in Proof-Of-Work systems. In Proof-Of-Stake systems, this type of attack would have to be done by a number of delegates, and they would have to prevent the other delegates from creating forks. This is why we are separating the delegate nodes from the core nodes. By separating them, we can more accurately mitigate DDoS attempts with open source tools, without worrying about affecting regular users (No regular user needs to access a delegate node, only the delegate owner does.)

Also, coming in the near future, we will be implementing a function to replace delegate nodes in the active list with standby delegates, based on the productivity of the delegates in the active list.

• What are the bottlenecks in the development curve to bring rise into LIVE MODE / ‘production level’ vis a vis platform nodes and smart contracts? If the price of rise were to appreciate would this alleviate any budgetary constraints and allow us to remove bottlenecks faster? Along these lines what is the time range / time frame for going live i.e stable network plus simple smart contract abilities.

Justin: As soon as we release the new delegate code, I’ll consider it a fully production ready platform. We have two fully functional APIs, and a third close to being ready. These could be used now to build applications and smart contracts. We are going to start working on the Application Builder, and the Smart Contract Builder, once the hosting platform is up. This hosting platform will enable server owners to sell bandwidth and resources on their system for RISE, to start, then other crypto currencies in the near future.

If RISE were to spike, we would have significant value in the developer fund, could potentially hire a couple more developers to speed up the process.

The bottlenecks we are facing is QA. Richard, Nathan, and myself spend a significant amount of time in Quality Assurance, running tests from every angle we can possible do. We also are spending a large amount of time making sure that the migration from the current node code, to the new code, has no impact on the network. This migration requires updates to the database, which needs to be tested extremely thoroughly, otherwise we could break the production network when we update the delegate code.

I’m also spending a significant amount of time doing security audits on the code.

Dedicated QA team would be ideal, but balancing a budget so we have multiple years of funded developers, and paying the current core team, is a challenge on just under 1M USD, especially with what developers cost.

Carloswing @ RISE forum asks:

• When will the next item on the roadmap be accomplished? Will a block explorer become available?

Justin: A block explorer is already available. http://explorer.rise.vision.
    The next item on the roadmap will likely be released this week. Right now, that is the Python SDK.

Menace.bit @ Bitcointalk asks:

• Where is RISE development now in terms of the roadmap published in the OP? And - Smart Contract Builder & Dapp Builder?

Justin: The roadmap in the OP is no longer accurate. We posted a Roadmap on our blog a little while back now. http://forum.rise.vision/topic/29/new-roadmap-bounties is the post. Please watch http://forum.rise.vision/category/3/blogs for updates.

JollyTrades @ Bitcointalk asks:

• Can we now code on your platform or not? If not, what’s the ETA for a production-ready chain?

Justin: While you can code against the chain now, I would not recommend it until after we release the new code for the delegate and core nodes. Once we get the core and delegate systems on the new code, that is the time to start building applications against our chain. For easy deployment, we will be releasing the Rise Hosting Platform, which is still in development, but will allow core node owners to provide space for other developers to host applications.

Slacker @ RISE forums asks:

• How much of his time Justin is dedicating to RISE since he has also other projects going on?

Justin: Since the ‘other project’ is a consultancy, it is less of other projects going on, and more about being able to add resources to work on Rise without having to worry about the amount of funding available. If we have a good set of commercial projects going on, I can ensure I always have resources available to work on Rise, no matter the state of the Rise Vision Foundation, or the RISE currency’s value.

To specifically answer the question, I’m working 12-14 hour days right now, and my time is split pretty much 50/50.

Lokesh @ RISE forum asks:

• What would a day be like at RISE in say 2 -5 years time? When our road map is completed, ie: we have created the SDKs and developers start using RISE as protocol layer and are creating DAPPS, what will we be doing.

Justin: At that point, I’m planning on dedicating time to building legislative and voting systems that a RISE based consultancy can sell. The RISE Platform is great for this type of scenario, but the delegate system may need to be modified, depending on how we structure the hosting system, if it is public, private, or a hybrid, etc.

Once the roadmap itself is done, we will start working on Applications for the platform that include payment processing, and integration into business environments for general business ledgers, or other transactional systems.

• Please explain to non-techies what Rise is all about

Justin: This is difficult without a significant amount of explanations. The best I can do for now is the video we did toward the beginning of the ICO. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMUVVObq4C3SZFHPOdGjVPGZpZhJhIQdK

• When will Rise be ready to start promoting and doing Vlogs

Justin: Once the new delegate / core node code is released, and we get our documentation up to par.

• When will Rise meet up with some Mainstream Bloggers/Vloggers and start the ball rolling or is it that we have contacts in the development community awaiting our rollout.

Justin: We will likely start setting up these kinds of marketing at the same time we start promoting and doing Vlogs.